All Categories | ON SALE! | Gold Banner Games (A-I) | Gold Banner Games (J-Z) | War & Strategy, Pre-WW1 | War & Strategy, WW1+ | Euro-Family Games | Solo-Playable Games | Card Games | Battlesson(TM) | States of Siege(TM) | Napoleonic 20 | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Sports and Kids Games | Victory Point Press | Bagged Game Originals | Digital Games | Other Cool Stuff | Final Development | Now Playtesting | Initial Development | Temporarily Out Of Stock
Like us on FaceBook!
View larger image
View back cover
The Lost Cause
The American Civil War: 1861-1865
After the election of Abraham Lincoln in 1860, as state after state in America’s Deep South seceded from the Union, the North felt it must be preserved. In the ensuing war, brother fought brother as the Confederacy resisted with all its might for over four years in Hans von Stockhausen's The Lost Cause.
This States of SiegeTM solitaire game puts you in the shoes of Jefferson Davis and the Confederate High Command as the Union armies close in from five different directions. With famous Generals like Lee and Johnston leading armies for their new nation, much of the conflict also takes place on the waterways and in the halls of power of foreign governments.
Told through the use of Headline and Broadsheet Event cards, history unfolds before your eyes as you direct the Southern war effort on land, sea, and the diplomatic and home fronts, in an effort to secure independence and survive as a nation. Can you organize the Confederacy and devise the plans necessary to secure victory? Can you make the best use of scarce Southern resources, allocating them at the right place and time to preserve the Confederacy? Or will relentless Union pressure make it all a Lost Cause?
Number of Players: 1
Ages: 14 and up
Playing Time: Approximately 1 (Basic Game) to 1 1/2 hours (Advanced Game)
Complexity: 3.5 (Basic Game) or 4 (Advanced Game) on a 9 scale
Solitaire Suitability: 9 on a 9 scale
Scale: Each unit is one Union Army or Civil War Leader, and each turn is one month
• One 8-page, color Basic Game Rules booklet
• One 6-page, color Advanced Game Rules booklet
• One 11” x 17” color Basic game map
• One 11” x 17” color Advanced game map• 32 color, die-cut 5/8” mounted game pieces
• 24 color, die-cut 3/4” mounted game pieces
• 48 (total) Headline and Broadsheet cards
• One 8.5” x 5.5” color player aid mat
• One page of Designer's Notes and extensive examples of play throughout
• Polybag packaging and component storage
What They're Saying:
- "The game is well done, and very challenging. If you want a good challenge and you like Civil War games, then this is a game you should really consider. I am determined to beat this game and look forward to raising my arms in victory and screaming a rebel yell when it finally happens." - Elliott Miller (The Gaming Gang)
Game Design: Hans von Stockhausen
Documentation & Development: Alan Emrich
Map Art: Tim Allen
Playtesting: Rob Bottos, Richard Carley, Terry Coleman, Tom Decker, David Ells, Robert Gunn, Todd Hatfield, David Kennedy, Chris Magoun, Cameron Moir, Thomas Pendleton, Chris Taylor, Vaughn Thorsteinson, Jim Ziegler
Proofreading: Bill Barrett, Richard Carley, Jesse Escobedo, Gary Sonnenberg
(Rules require a PDF viewer installed in your browser, or right-click to download and open with a PDF reader)